Google Trends just lately listed banana bread as its most searched recipe in the course of the lockdown. But Indian delicacies is replete with concepts that use the plantain from — leaf and flower to stem and fruit — in quite a lot of methods.
“The best way to use overripe bananas is to sun-dry them,” says chef Regi Mathew, co-owner and Culinary Director of Kappa Chakka Kandhari, a well-liked Kerala delicacies restaurant in Chennai and Bengaluru that began with mates, John Paul and Augustine Kurian. “In traditional Kerala recipes, we cook dinner the sun-dried bananas and have it with honey and grated coconut. We can even make halwa with dehydrated bananas,” he says.
Here are some different methods to make use of this overripe bananas with elan:
Kolar bora: For this standard Bengali snack, combine the pulp of two overripe bananas with coconut, 250 grams of maida, ¼ teaspoon of baking powder, fennel seeds, a pinch of salt, two tablespoons of powdered sugar and round ¾ cup of water to kind a thick batter. Deep fry small balls of the batter on a medium flame till golden brown.
- Serves: Two individuals
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 3/four cup mashed ripe banana mashed -3/four cup [Robusta or Palayamkodan are the best]
- 1 half of tbsp jaggery
- half of cup grated coconut
- Powdered sea salt to style
- 1/four cup water
- Oil to use on the tawa
- Mix wheat flour, mashed ripe banana, jaggery, grated coconut and sea salt to make a free dough. Divide this dough into two equal parts. Heat the pan, tawa and apply some oil on it and unfold one portion of the dough right into a thick pancake. Cook on sluggish flame for five-six minutes until it turns brown. Once it’s cooked, flip it over and cook dinner the opposite facet for one other five-six minutes on a sluggish flame. You could want to cowl the pancake with a lid. Serve scorching with a drizzle of honey.
- Recipe by chef Regi Mathew
Mangalore buns: In this Udupi speciality, bananas are added to puri dough for a fluffy tea-time snack. Knead two cups of wheat flour with a pinch of baking soda, three tablespoons of sugar, two tablespoons of ghee, half a teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of cumin seeds, with two tablespoons of curd and one mashed overripe banana, with sufficient water to kind a agency dough. Add extra flour if required, and portion out the dough into small balls. Cover and relaxation the balls for two hours earlier than rolling them out into puris and deep-frying them. Serve with chutney of selection.
Banana sheera: Commonly made for prayer ceremonies, this candy borrows components of kesari (sooji halwa). Lightly roast one cup of semolina (aka rava or sooji), in three tablespoons of ghee or oil till aromatic. Add two chopped ripe bananas and stir nicely. Pour in 2.5 cups of scorching water or milk, taking care to stir the combination evenly with out lumps. Cook for a couple of minutes till the halwa leaves the edges of the pan. Add saffron and garnish with dried fruits of selection.
Kele ki sabzi: This is a savoury means to make use of up ripe bananas in a jiffy. Temper mustard seeds and a pinch of asafoetida in oil, and add one and a half bananas lower into roundels. Stir calmly, after which add chilli, turmeric, coriander and cumin powders, to style. Season with sugar and salt and cook dinner for two minutes on a medium flame. Serve instantly with rotis.