And with being rated the high free game on the Google Play Store and App retailer (with over 300 million downloads on the Play Store), it’s statistically seemingly that if somebody is taking part in Ludo on their telephone, they’re taking part in Ludo King.
Created by Vikash Jaiswal, CEO of Navi Mumbai-based Gametion Technologies, in 2016, the game hit the high spot on Play Store and App Store lower than a yr after its launch with practically 50 million downloads.
Says Vikash, “Before the lockdown, the total number of daily active users (who play the game every day) was 15 million. After the lockdown, we touched 251 million in the beginning of May. Now that the lockdown is being diluted, the number has come down to 40 to 45 million. As for the average daily playtime, before the lockdown it was 32 minutes. Now, it is 49 minutes. Some players even play continuously for three or four hours.”
He provides that 75% of the customers are from India, whereas the remaining 25% is made up of gamers from different international locations such as Bangladesh, Indonesia, Pakistan, West Asia, USA, UK, Germany and France. While one can play towards the laptop, there’s additionally the possibility of taking part in the game (both as two-player or four-player) towards associates/household or random individuals.
Before the lockdown, New Delhi-based Snehashish Bhattacharjee, CEO of Denave, used to play the game towards the laptop. But after the lockdown, he began taking part in with a gaggle of outdated school mates scattered throughout the nation, spending round half an hour to 40 minutes on the game practically on daily basis.
He says, “The thing that immediately appealed to me was the nostalgia associated with it. Those days, children could only go out and play a sport or play a board game inside the house and Ludo was fairly popular. But more importantly, I realised that now, every time I play Ludo, my stress levels come down very quickly. This is because there is no target to achieve; you are dependent on the die number that you throw. And from a strategy perspective, once you have more than one pawn out, that is when you need to start worrying about which one to move and when. You can also decide on the pace you want to play at on the app. There is a version called Rush Ludo which is almost like Twenty20 cricket as opposed to Test cricket, which is the original version of Ludo and the one I like to play.”
Adding that even his nine-year-old son and spouse play Ludo, he provides, “It’s an easy game to play. Even though it looks like a staid game and probably something for old people, once you start playing, the ease of adopting the game makes it so that people end up playing it more.”
Degree scholar Hema Ashwini, who research in Coimbatore, says that although she had performed Ludo when she was younger, she began taking part in it once more on Ludo King during the lockdown. “I play the game every now and then, either against the computer or against a random person. There was a lot about Ludo on social media: people’s statuses and a lot of memes. I saw that and so I started playing.”
Bengaluru-based legislation scholar Manavi Atri additionally began taking part in Ludo once more during the lockdown, a few times per week with household and associates. “Everybody understands (the rules). It’s simple yet fun; it doesn’t require too much of brain application. Not a lot of board games are like that; there are too many layers to most board games today.”
However, she says that she prefers taking part in Ludo on the board to the telephone anyday. “You can choose which of the four pawns to move and there is a lot more fun seeing the expressions of people when you cut their pawn. On the phone, it moves automatically and that’s no fun. Also, the game runs a lot longer when you play on the board.”