India’s Gita Sabharwal has been appointed by the United Nations as its Resident Coordinator in Thailand. She was appointed by UN Secretary-General António Guterres with the host Government’s approval on January 29, 2020.
The UN Resident Coordinators are the highest-ranking representatives of the UN’s country-level growth system. The Resident Coordinators are designated representatives of the UN Secretary-General and so they report on to him.
The resident coordinators have the accountability of main UN nation groups and coordinate assist for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Who is Gita Sabharwal?
• Gita Sabharwal has carried out her masters in growth administration from the UK’s University of Wales and has authored a number of coverage papers on South and South-East Asia.
• She was beforehand serving the United Nations because the Peacebuilding and Development Adviser in Sri Lanka for nearly 7 years.
• Before serving on the United Nations, Sabharwal was the Deputy Country Representative of the Asia Foundation for the Maldives and Sri Lanka. The Asia Foundation is a nonprofit worldwide growth organisation dedicated to enhancing the lives of individuals throughout Asia.
• She has additionally served because the Social Development Adviser for UK’s Department for International Development in India and Vietnam.
• Sabharwal has over 25 years of expertise in peacebuilding, growth, governance and social coverage throughout 5 Asian nations together with the Maldives.
• She has been concerned in creating and managing programmes throughout sectors resembling poverty discount, civil society, social safety, gender equality, decentralisatoon and public enterprise reform.
Main function: The UN Resident Coordinator (RC), the highest-ranking UN consultant on the nation degree, is chargeable for main the UN groups and coordinating UN assist for the graceful implementation of the 2030 agenda. The resident coordinators are chosen primarily based on their expertise and experience from quite a lot of backgrounds.
Objective: The UN resident coordinators are chargeable for coordinating and facilitating UN assist to assist nations obtain their respective Sustainable Development Goals on the nationwide and native degree, leaving nobody behind. They are designated representatives of the UN Secretary-General to allow growth on the nation degree. They are required to coordinate with numerous UN Sustainable Development Group companies for funds and implementation of growth programmes.