The ICGS Varad can be deployed at Paradip in Odisha, underneath the operational management of the North-Eastern Region’s Coast Guard. Commanded by Commandant Pintu Bag, the coast guard vessel can be manned by 11 officers and 91 personnel.
The induction of the ship into the fleet of the Indian Coast Guard has taken its complete tally to 147 ships and boats and 62 plane.
ICGS Varad: Key Features
• The Offshore Patrol Vessel, ICGS Varad has been designed and constructed by Larsen and Toubro at its shipyard in Kattupalli, close to Chennai.
• The vessel is the first main defence ship to clear all the ocean trials in a single single sea sortie, making a report of kinds within the Indian shipbuilding business.
• The 98m-long vessel is fitted with superior navigation and communication tools, equipment and sensors. It additionally includes 30 mm and 12.7 mm weapons.
• Besides this, the vessel has particular options together with a platform administration system, built-in bridge system, excessive energy exterior fire-fighting system and automatic energy administration system.
• The ship additionally has the capability to hold 4 high-speed boats and a twin-engine helicopter for search and rescue operations and regulation enforcement and maritime patrol. The vessel also can carry air pollution response tools in case of an oil spill on the sea.
• Further, the vessel propelled by two 9100kw diesel engines can attain a most velocity of 26 knots. It can function for nearly 5000 nautical miles at a stretch with out refueling.
ICGS Varad can be deployed for the surveillance of India’s Exclusive Economic Zone. The vessel can even be accountable to safeguard the maritime pursuits of the nation.
ICGS Varad is the fifth within the collection of seven offshore patrol vessels, being constructed by Larsen and Toubro as part of their March 2015 contract with the Union Defence Ministry.
With ICGS Varad’s induction, the Indian Coast Guard now has 147 ships and boats and 62 plane. The coast guard additionally has 58 extra ships, that are underneath numerous phases of development presently at completely different Indian shipyards. Besides this, 16 Advanced Light Helicopters are additionally underneath manufacturing by the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).