To educate people who find themselves struggling to suit into the new world, from shopping for the primary necessities for each day use, Chef Ritesh Negi, Corporate Executive Chef, Radisson MBD Group, debunk the myths round the consumption of frozen food throughout an interview with IANSlife.
Is frozen food more healthy than recent meals?
Frozen food has totally different classes like frozen meats, frozen greens, and frozen ready-to-eat food. It has at all times been part of our life, and we now have been consuming it for a really very long time. For occasion, frozen inexperienced peas have been an everyday a part of our homely diets for generations. Trickling down from our grandmothers to our moms, everybody has had a style of peas in their each day weight-reduction plan, and we now have by no means questioned its dietary values. Similarly, frozen berries and Italian canned tomatoes have additionally been an everyday in kitchens.
The level to be conveyed is that the act of freezing doesn’t make food any much less wholesome. The well being side of food relies upon totally on its dietary content material and the way it’s preserved whereas being frozen. It can also be crucial to weigh the composition, as an example, a cooked curry or pizza won’t be capable of withhold the nutritive quotient of food whereas frozen peas and meat will.
With powerful instances forward of us, the complete recreation plan of the food business is sure to witness a paradigm shift. There will be extra preserved greens, meat, and different merchandise in the market, which will take the lead and be utilised for each day consumption. And as a matter of reality, a few of the nutritionists have noticed how greens are destined to be “frozen” as they’re harvested at a time when their freshness and dietary worth are at the peak of their ripeness.
- Check the manufacturing and expiry date on the again of the frozen meat earlier than shopping for and use it accordingly. Also, search for the FSSAI signal on it for authenticity.
- To attempt to keep away from thawing meats with operating water or microwaving them earlier than cooking. Rather, put frozen meat in a bowl and let it thaw slowly inside the fridge for a couple of hours. It is essential to thaw frozen meat merchandise in the temperature-controlled zone which is at 5 diploma celsius.
- Understand the significance of washing the meat totally for a minimum of three to 4 instances after thawing. Suma tabs (a chlorine launch agent) also can be used for the meat, with suggested PPM focus. Post utilizing of suma tab, yet another wash with freshwater is vital after which it ought to be cooked instantly.
- Do not refrigerate thawed meat once more relatively eat it instantly after cooking.
- Avoid chilly cuts of meats that are used for making sandwiches and salads. This has additionally been suggested by the consultants as per the Food Safety Guidelines issued in the public curiosity.
- The key level is to retailer below beneficial temperature and never freeze on loop to keep away from meddling with the high quality.
Does frozen food present the identical vitamin?
The freezing approach ensures the freshness of the food for an extended interval, in the meantime sustaining its dietary values. Thus, making it very protected for us to eat frozen meat which has been processed, packed and delivered below applicable pointers and temperature. Vendors have been suggested to pack the frozen meat and greens with hermetic heavy-duty packaging akin to foil, plastic wrap, or freezer paper.
Freezing is understood to extend the shelf lifetime of the food with out compromising with the nutritious parts of it and freezing doesn’t have an effect on the calorie rely, fibre content material or minerals worth of the food as nicely. However, it is strongly recommended that whereas buying frozen merchandise, one ought to search for content material worth with much less sodium and sugar in it.
The vitamin in the frozen rooster is much like that of the fresh-cut one the place the former has to move the high quality exams to be retailed in the supermarkets. The style of the frozen meat is subjective to its cooking fashion, technique of preparation and infusion of different elements whereas cooking the identical. Nonetheless, one continues to be suggested to take precautions and be aware to examine the dietary content material printed on its packaging.
How do you see the market worth of frozen food faring, in a put up COVID-19 situation?
COVID-19 has created a state of chaos and has left folks with fewer selections of selecting important gadgets each day and to refill their cabinets to keep away from going out of their houses. The frozen class has seen an enormous surge in the identical with poultry enjoying a significant position as a necessary commodity with longer shelf life and better dietary worth.
Moving ahead, I personally assume frozen food will be the new kid in the block.People will be inclined in the direction of protected, branded frozen meat merchandise which might be used for cooking.